On 2021-11-09 03:15 am, Marton Balint wrote:

On Mon, 8 Nov 2021, Gyan Doshi wrote:

On 2021-11-07 02:56 pm, Marton Balint wrote:

 On Sun, 7 Nov 2021, Gyan Doshi wrote:

 This can work until it doesn't. The filter doesn't tolerate any load
 failures.
 I'll see if I can add a short sleep and retry. If it still fails, we
 continue with the old text.

 I am not a fan of this to be honest. There is a proper way to do atomic  renames even in windows, see the referenced stackoverflow articles, so it
 should just work.

The comments at SO by Craig Barkhouse ('NTFS developer at Microsoft') says that "ReplaceFile is most definitely NOT atomic." and that, forMoveFileEx, atomicity is not guaranteed, depending on the underlying fs ops the call leads to. So, I think some fault tolerance on our part is called for.

But later on he also says that MoveFileEx with MOVEFILE_REPLACE_EXISTING flag is atomic 99.999999% of the time with the only exception of the target file being huge...

Not on FAT32. And since it's not guaranteed, the filter should accommodate that.

Regards,
Gyan