Hello,

A webtt subtitles files starts with a few header lines, and one of them indicates the language:

==================================
WEBVTT
Kind: captions
Language: en

But ffmpeg won't detect the language. The ffprobe output on the above file makes no mention of it:

Input #0, webvtt, from 'Star Trek Continues E01 "Pilgrim of Eternity" [3G-ziTBAkbQ].en.vtt':
  Duration: N/A, bitrate: N/A
  Stream #0:0: Subtitle: webvtt

Consequentely, when muxed into a video file, no language is reported for the subtitle streams.

In constrast, MKVToolnix detects the language when reading a webvtt file (although not always perfectly)

Is there a simple solution? I know it's possible to force a langage for any stream, but in practice for each video file I have many subtitle tracks to mux, and this is handled by scripts, so I'd prefer something straigth and automatic.