On 11/7/2022 10:17 PM, Joe Smithy wrote:
I need a way to capture output audio that works reliably on most computers
without having to know anything about the state of said computer.

I suspect you won't, at least not directly. If the search is narrowed to specific versions of windoze and dshow, it may get easier. (On a modern win10 thinkpad here w/ OBS, the only audio output captures are the named sound devices - "Speakers (USB PnP Audio device)" and "Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio)".

IME most windows capture software uses pick lists to get the desired device. You might be able to script something to simply use the first device, but of course, that might fail on some.

z!