> On 12 Nov 2022, at 01:46, Ulf Zibis <ulf.zi...@cosoco.de> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have transcoded a avi video to mp4 for compressing by factor 8. Now I see
> interlace artifacts. E.g. the eagle in the back window of the bus or the
> fence in the background.
> Additionally I would like to reduce the noise for even better compression.
> Any hint for a good filter?
>
> Refer:
> http://jugkoeln.de/Videos/2012-01-03_21.46.40_6.29GB_15.avi
> http://jugkoeln.de/Videos/2012-01-03_21.46.40_6.29GB_15.mp4

Hi Ulf,
This is normal DV interlaced video. Open the .avi with VLC and turn OFF
de-interlace, you’ll see how gorgeous the motion was on an old fashioned
interlace aware screen.

So, you need to de-interlace the filter.
While you’re at it, you should crop a little, as SD is an over scanned format.
And, you have non-square pixels that you have to accommodate for, so set aspect
to 4:3 (in this case), or scale to a 4:3 ratio.

Hth,

Bouke