Hi Steinar,

> I know it's due to overlapping boxes. I cannot find anything in the ASS
> specs. or the subtitles filter to alter the line spacing. I would be very
> happy if your confidence could point me to the right setting ;-)

I would if I could, but sorry, that’s beyond my capability.
For reasons like this, I render my own subtitles as PNG (with metadata), google
’subbits subtitler’, that’s my work. (And yes, it allows for a box :-)

Then I create a catlist, and overlay, if a burn-in is needed.
Yes, that was quite some work, but I’m a control freak.

> Anyway, overlapping boxes is (to my knowledge) handled by the filter so in
> my opinion it should be addressed there. Cause I don't believe anyone
> needing this style wants the result created by these overlapping
> transparent boxes. Like this dude:
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/72093116/ffmpeg-subtitles-background-issue-when-multiple-lines-using-srt-format

I hope someone else can help, I can’t…

> Of course suggesting another style is not a solution.

I know, I just gave my opinion on how things “should” look. I come from a
country where EVERYTHING is subtitled, and I’ve worked (as a pro in movies /
tv) with subs for over 20 years.

Bouke