FFmpeg assigns DTSs & PTSs to P-frames and B-frames in MPEG2-TS streams. How does it determine those DTSs & PTSs?

Since DTSs & PTSs don't actually exist for P-/B-frames in MPEG2-TS streams, FFmpeg must have a way that's unknown to me.

I'm seeing some strange things. They can't be as strange as they look because they look disastrous. At issue is the cause of non-monotonous DTSs and obviously bogus DTSs for P-frames such as '-9223372036854775808'.

I'm not trying to mysterious. I'm trying to tread carefully because I've been accused of being a troll. How anyone could think I'm a troll when I've been here for years and I've always used my real name, everywhere on the Internet, is beyond me. And, no, I'm not writing a book. And I'm markfilipak.imdb because that's a leftover gmail account that still works but is otherwise useless to me since imdb closed its forum several years ago. So, please, no flames.

I have been investigating trimming and concatenation problems full time for many weeks and will present a report here when I'm done. My preliminary finding is that FFmpeg is creating its own problems due to internal fixups, but that's just preliminary and I really hope I'm wrong. I can't look at the source code because, though 'C' syntax is no problem for me, actual 'C' code is a black hole.

Regards,
Mark.