Carol,

I crocheted by sight, too. Thought I'd never learn to knit. Decided I
wanted/had to/must learn to knit, just to get rid of the many skeins of
yarn in my stash. After all, you can only wear so many around your neck,
before your vision is blocked <g>.

Your knitting instructors may have tried to teach you a method that doesn't
work for you. I decided to pick up a pair of needles and teach myself from
a booklet I found in a thrift store. I held the needles in a way that was
comfortable for me and practiced casting on and then knit and purl
stitches. It didn't matter how crummy the swatch turned out. I knew it
would get better as my skill level increased. I found out later that I knit
what's called 'Continental'. I hold the yarn in my left hand. Knit and purl
stitches are exactly the same as if the yarn was held in my right hand. 

I'd also purchased a knitting machine and knew I needed to learn knitting
terminology, so I would understand what I was doing if I ever got around to
actually using the machines. As long as I was going to learn the
terminology, it seemed silly not to attempt to learn to knit.

I have knit one pair of socks from my hand spun yarn. They're a mohair/Finn
x blend. I'm very proud of them, but can't seem to get the ooomph together
to knit another pair. That's where the circular machine comes in. I figure
if I can master it, get it to work correctly, that I'll be able to spin the
yarn to make the socks. Sounds good in theory. We'll see what the practical
brings. :)
wrnk
d2

To stop mail temporarily mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
with the message: set nomail  To restore send: set mail

Reply via email to