Hi all,

I am taking 5 minutes away from my new toy!  I have after 14 years of
spinning and handknitting given in to the lure of a knitting machine.  It is
a Passap duomatic 80 which I got for a song.  I have read the manual through
and have just finished the front, back and one sleeve in the space of one
morning and 1 evening.  That to me is a very good reason for knitting by
machine.  It has been a good learning exercise in discipline, I have always
made up my own patterns and very often by holding the needles up against me
in front of the mirror have decided on length of the various sections.
Because the knitting on this machine falls between the 2 beds I can't do
that so I have to work it all out first and make sure I am accurate with the
gauge.

I have just made this first sweater very plain and as it is with much finer
wool than I would normally knit with and as it is oiled I can't wait to see
how it will react to washing,  I can imagine all sorts of problems, who
knows it may only fit a fat drain pipe.

The pattern possibilities appear endless and I know it will be a real bonus
in trying out new shapes without the trauma of having spent hours knitting
samples by hand only to find that major adjustments need to be made.  I will
still hand knit I am sure, as Dee Dee says the machine is far too large to
carry to the doctors, though I am sure I could have half a sweater knitted
in the time it takes to be seen at our local surgery.  I told the
receptionist that if ever I got sick I wanted it to be serious as it was the
only way I could hope to get an appointment in the same week.  She gave a
wry smile.

Isn't it typical, when I get a new toy to play with the work suddenly starts
flooding in, I have to work all day every day for the next 3 weeks almost, I
need the cash, but why now?

On another subject, I went out for dinner at my local Chinese Restaurant
last night on their New Years celebrations.  I discovered that I was born in
the year of the sheep, isn't that appropriate?  I read what it said about we
sheep people and was stunned at how accurate it was.  If anyone is
interested to hear what years are sheep years and what it says about us
email private.

Regards

Sue
In bright and sunny (for a change) Maidenhead


To stop mail temporarily mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
with the message: set nomail  To restore send: set mail

Reply via email to