Hi Dee Dee,

I've bought two great wheels in the past. Kept one for myself and sold the
other.
I had Roger Hill in Lena, IL do the little bit of restoration that needed to
be done.
He is excellent. Wish you were closer so he could look at your wheels. He
will work
on them at the shows he's at and do minor work. Doesn't charge for it
either. I usually
give him something for his labor tho'. His phone is 815-369-2330. He  will
usually give
help over the phone.

The square wooden nails, do indeed hold the rim of the wheel onto the
spokes. Roger
replaced some of mine at one of his workshops. He uses dowel and tapers the
ends so
they fit. He can redo the maidens with either corn husks or leather. He is
really good at
dating a wheel by the type of woods used, style, etc. He replaced the
leathers on my
maidens and got me a new spindle all for under 60.00. I sent him the maidens
and the
post they sit on and he did the work at home. One of my wheels was missing
the spindle.
The other had all the parts. The only really important thing is that the
drive wheel isn't
warped or it will be next to impossible to keep the drive band on it.

I used my wheel this year in our local Heritage Days. Had a stream of folks
through the
livingroom of the house that was reconstructed on the Corp. of Engrs.
property at Truman
Lake Reservoir. Didn't sit down for 8 hrs. Lots of questions and interested
folks;

Have fun with your wheel. I enjoy mine, tho' I don't use it that much.

Gail White





To stop mail temporarily mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
with the message: set nomail  To restore send: set mail

Reply via email to