Hi Ann and List,

        Cool! You're growing flax!  I had planned on doing the same 
thing this year but did not get around buying the seed in time.  So I 
think I am just going to grow a few  colored cotton plants with some 
seeds I have. I have to have a science project for the summer :-)

        Regarding the cage distaff.  I based mine in assorted books. 
The Care and Feeding of Spinning Wheels has a drawing for a Jig  to 
be used in bending the 1/4"  oak dowels to be used on the cage part. 
I based the rest of the body on that book and assorted pictures of 
distaffs I have seen on spinning catalogs.  Mine will be a stand 
alone.   I am building it so that the bottom of the cage will be 12 
inches above the orifice of my Ashford Traveller.  Regarding height, 
before building your distaff it may be a good idea to do a test 
drive.  I have found that a broom handle  makes a decent temporary 
pole distaff.    That way you'll know how high it has to be.

Good luck!
Carla
in Durham, NC

>Carla, can you give the details on this?  After 15 years of spinning 
>almost everything, I've decided this year to master line flax.  And 
>I think I want a cage distaff.  Designing one is on my "things to 
>do" list"  but some pointers would be very useful.
>
>--Ann, growing flax in North Florida

To stop mail temporarily mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
with the message: set nomail  To restore send: set mail

Reply via email to