Our Daily Bread -- Test Match

July 25, 2016
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=11&ms=MjYwNTgwNzkS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=ODQzMzQ3NzMxS0&mt=1&rt=0>

Read: Psalm 35:17-28
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=8&ms=MjYwNTgwNzkS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=ODQzMzQ3NzMxS0&mt=1&rt=0>
Bible in a Year: Psalms 37-39; Acts 26
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=10&ms=MjYwNTgwNzkS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=ODQzMzQ3NzMxS0&mt=1&rt=0>
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=7&ms=MjYwNTgwNzkS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=ODQzMzQ3NzMxS0&mt=1&rt=0>

How long, Lord, will you look on? Rescue me from their ravages, my precious
life from these lions. —Psalm 35:17
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=18&ms=MjYwNTgwNzkS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=ODQzMzQ3NzMxS0&mt=1&rt=0>

A test match in the game of cricket can be grueling. Competitors play from
11 a.m. to 6 p.m. with lunch and tea breaks, but the games can last up to
five days. It’s a test of endurance as well as skill.

The tests we face in life are sometimes intensified for a similar
reason—they feel unending. The long search for a job, an unbroken season of
loneliness, or a lengthy battle with cancer is made even more difficult by
the fact that you wonder if it will ever end.

Perhaps that is why the psalmist cried out, “How long, Lord, will you look
on? Rescue me from their ravages, my precious life from these lions” (Ps.
35:17). Bible commentaries say that this was speaking of the long period in
David’s life when he was pursued by Saul and slandered by the king’s
advisors—a time of trial that lasted for years.

Yet, in the end, David sang, “The Lord be exalted, who delights in the
well-being of his servant” (v. 27). His testing drove him to deeper trust
in God—a trust that we can also experience in our own long seasons of
testing, hardship, or loss. —Bill Crowder

*As time drags on and answers seem faraway, teach me, Father, to find my
help in You and Your presence. Enable me to endure, and empower me to trust
in You.*

When your burdens overwhelm you, remember that God has His arms underneath
you.

*INSIGHT:* David found strength to endure his trial by reflecting on and
trusting in the character of God (Ps. 35:9-10). Three young Hebrew captives
in Babylon—Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah, whose names were changed to
Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego (Dan. 3)—are other examples of trust during
difficult circumstances. The Babylonian ruler commanded them to dishonor
God by bowing before a giant idol. They faced this challenge with hope
because their past experiences with God taught them that He was worthy of
their trust and confidence. Dread and apprehension turned to sure
confidence and expectation because God had shown Himself faithful. Adapted
from *Hope: Choosing Faith Instead of Fear
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=22&ms=MjYwNTgwNzkS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=ODQzMzQ3NzMxS0&mt=1&rt=0>.*

Share With Your Friends
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=16&ms=MjYwNTgwNzkS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=ODQzMzQ3NzMxS0&mt=1&rt=0>
Featured
Video
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=9&ms=MjYwNTgwNzkS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=ODQzMzQ3NzMxS0&mt=1&rt=0>
[image: Our Daily Bread Ministries]
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=11&ms=MjYwNTgwNzkS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=ODQzMzQ3NzMxS0&mt=1&rt=0>

Our mission is to make the life-changing wisdom of the Bible understandable
and accessible to all.

Our vision is to see people of all nations experiencing a personal
relationship with Christ, growing to be more like Him, and serving in a
local body of His family.

To read today's *Our Daily Bread* online visit www.odb.org
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=13&ms=MjYwNTgwNzkS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=ODQzMzQ3NzMxS0&mt=1&rt=0>
.

Copyright © 2016, Our Daily Bread Ministries, Grand Rapids, MI 49555 USA.
Written permission must be obtained from Our Daily Bread Ministries for any
further posting or distribution.

Scriptures taken from Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV®
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission.
All rights reserved.

USE INCREDIMAIL ONLY IN THIS GROUP
NO NUDITY ALLOWED
---