*The Waiting*

*"Those who wait upon the Lord, will renew their strength, they will soar
on wings like the eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk
and not be faint."  (Isaiah 40:31) "...for twelve years she had suffered a
great deal under the care of many doctors and had spent all she had, yet
instead of getting better she grew worse."  (Mark 5:25) "While Jesus was
still speaking, some men came from the house of Jairus, the synagogue
ruler. "Your daughter is dead," they said, "Why bother the teacher any
more?"  (Mark 5:35)*

Parents waiting for children out past curfew know it. Couples having
trouble conceiving a child know it. A family separated by overseas military
service knows it. A person needing an organ transplant knows it. A
candidate for law or medical school knows it. A pregnant mom 10 days past
due knows it. A person struggling to be hired for a job knows it. In fact,
at one time or another, most of us come to know this brooding beast. It's
the long wait -- that drawn out time of fretful anticipation and extended
longing.

"Those who wait upon the Lord will renew their strength..."

Often, this is easier said than done. Before we get to "mount up on wings
like eagles," we often have to obediently grind away through the brutal
passage of agonizing time. Before we can "run and not grow weary," we have
to trudge on as anticipation dims and hope's flickering flame fights
against the winds of despair. Many times, we just have to keep walking and
trust that some hidden grace will help us "not faint."

That's what makes this story of Jairus' daughter so compelling to me. Like
you, I don't like to wait. In my mind, if there is any privilege for those
with power and position, one should not have to wait! "They" surely don't
have to wait like I do. "They" get to move to the head of line. "They" get
to throw around their weight and get what they want when they want it.

In this case, however, "they" (or more accurately, "he") didn't. (see Mark
5:21-43) Instead, Jairus' humbling approach to Jesus, an approach that
could cost him everything in sacred society, was interrupted by a desperate
woman who had faced "the long wait" herself as she had hopelessly gone to
every healer available to her, and no doubt prayed incessantly for her own
cure. This woman, who could not go into the synagogue because of her
uncleanness, derailed the hope parade of Jairus, the ruler of the synagogue.

I find two things amazing about both of them. First, neither complains
about his or her wait. Not the woman, who has spent her fortune on false
medical hopes, nor Jairus, who has spent his respect capital to associate
himself with a suspicious teacher. Both wait for their Lord to act.

Impatiently waiting? Probably! But, they waited and received their grace.
Second, they both received the personal attention of the Lord -- the man of
power who could expect that attention and the woman on the fringes who, in
her day, could not expect it.

Jesus refused to let the woman have an anonymous miracle!  He personally
and specifically blessed her. Jairus' daughter would not be healed for the
crowd, but only in the closed intimacy of Jesus' chosen few and Jairus'
family. Both waited faithfully. Both received the personal attention of the
Master! Each received his or her heart's greatest desire.

This is not a story about long ago and far away. It is a reminder that
Jesus is there for those who wait. It is a renewal of the ancient hope that
God will act for those who don't give up during the long wait. You see, the
issue isn't the wait. Instead, it is all about refusing to give up hope
when the journey seems so long (12 years for the woman) and the problems so
insurmountable (a dead 12-year old daughter for Jairus).

Maybe you face the long wait right now. Maybe your heartbreak or shame or
disappointment or loss seems insurmountable. If so, I want to encourage you
to come back to this story of the powerless woman and the powerful man and
remember the place their broken hearts met, the place their broken dreams
were mended, and the place their long wait ended. Know that place is really
a person, and his name is Jesus.

[image: InJesus] <http://www.injesus.com>

USE INCREDIMAIL ONLY IN THIS GROUP
NO NUDITY ALLOWED