<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=10&ms=MjYzNTc3NTIS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=ODY0OTIyNjUzS0&mt=1&rt=0>
[image: Our Story]
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=18&ms=MjYzNTc3NTIS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=ODY0OTIyNjUzS0&mt=1&rt=0>
Gentle Influence

August 30, 2016
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=10&ms=MjYzNTc3NTIS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=ODY0OTIyNjUzS0&mt=1&rt=0>

Read: Colossians 3:12-17
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=7&ms=MjYzNTc3NTIS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=ODY0OTIyNjUzS0&mt=1&rt=0>
Bible in a Year: Psalms 129-131; 1 Corinthians 11:1-16
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=9&ms=MjYzNTc3NTIS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=ODY0OTIyNjUzS0&mt=1&rt=0>
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=6&ms=MjYzNTc3NTIS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=ODY0OTIyNjUzS0&mt=1&rt=0>

Clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and
patience. —Colossians 3:12
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=16&ms=MjYzNTc3NTIS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=ODY0OTIyNjUzS0&mt=1&rt=0>

A few years before he became the 26th U.S. president (1901-1909), Theodore
Roosevelt got word that his oldest son, Theodore Jr., was ill. While his
son would recover, the cause of Ted’s illness hit Roosevelt hard. Doctors
told him that *he* was the cause of his son’s illness. Ted was suffering
from “nervous exhaustion,” having been pressed unmercifully by Theodore to
become the “fighter” hero-type he himself had not been during his own frail
childhood. Upon hearing this, the elder Roosevelt made a promise to relent:
“Hereafter I shall never press Ted either in body or mind.”

The father was true to his word. From then on he paid close attention to
how he treated his son—the very same son who would one day bravely lead the
landing of Allied soldiers on Utah Beach in World War II.

God has entrusted each of us with influence in the lives of others. We have
a deep responsibility in those relationships, not only to spouses and
children, but to friends, employees, and customers. The temptation to press
too hard, to demand too much, to force progress, or to orchestrate success
can lead us to harm others even when we don’t realize it. For this very
reason, followers of Christ are urged to be patient and gentle with one
another (Col. 3:12). Since Jesus, the Son of God, came in humility, how can
we withhold such kindness from one another? —Randy Kilgore

*What kind of expectations do you have of the people in your life—at home
and at work? Think about the influence you might have on others. How can
you reflect more of the character of Jesus?*

What God does for us we should do for others.

*INSIGHT:* Most scholars believe the apostle Paul wrote Colossians from a
Roman prison cell around ad 60, about the same time he wrote Ephesians,
Philippians, and Philemon. Paul seems to have had two primary purposes for
writing this letter to the church at Colossae. First, he wanted the
Colossian believers to know that Christ is superior to all human
accomplishments, philosophies, and angelic beings. Second, he longed for
these dear saints to experience freedom from the moralistic regulations and
religious systems that enslaved them. Dennis Moles

Share With Your Friends
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=14&ms=MjYzNTc3NTIS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=ODY0OTIyNjUzS0&mt=1&rt=0>
Featured
Video
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=8&ms=MjYzNTc3NTIS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=ODY0OTIyNjUzS0&mt=1&rt=0>
[image: Our Daily Bread Ministries]
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=10&ms=MjYzNTc3NTIS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=ODY0OTIyNjUzS0&mt=1&rt=0>

Our mission is to make the life-changing wisdom of the Bible understandable
and accessible to all.

Our vision is to see people of all nations experiencing a personal
relationship with Christ, growing to be more like Him, and serving in a
local body of His family.

To read today's *Our Daily Bread* online visit www.odb.org
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=12&ms=MjYzNTc3NTIS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=ODY0OTIyNjUzS0&mt=1&rt=0>
.

Copyright © 2016, Our Daily Bread Ministries, Grand Rapids, MI 49555 USA.
Written permission must be obtained from Our Daily Bread Ministries for any
further posting or distribution.

Scriptures taken from Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV®
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission.
All rights reserved.

USE INCREDIMAIL ONLY IN THIS GROUP
NO NUDITY ALLOWED
---