Hi all,

I have two questions regarding automounting an SMB-sharer.

I've deployed automount on a series of workstation at a customer
(LiveTV-station), so that their central `Ingest`-share is always correctly
mounted for the currently logged-in user on each workstation. To do this i
created the map-file `/etc/auto_ingest` with the relevant configuration and
added a matching line for this map to `/etc/auto_master`

This seems to be work ok, but only after i reduced the value of
AUTOMOUNT_TIMEOUT to 120.

The timeout seems to regularly cause the Ingest-share to NOT appear until
TIMEOUT seconds have past. This is an hour (3600) by default.

Is 120 seconds a sensible value? Or can such a short timeout cause adverse
effects?
It's not trivial for me to analyse this myself, as the customer is over
10000 km (8800 ml) away and i'm doind this remotely.

Furthermore, as this Ingest-share can potentially contain many (>100)
sub-folders containing thousands upon thousands of files, editors are used
to use the standard Mac OSX search functionality (Spotlight) for locating
the files they need. They normally do this either simply in Finder (⌘+F on
the mounted Ingest-share), or from the Open-dialog within the relevant
application that they want to import the files into.

On a manually mounted Ingest-share this works just fine, but for the
automounted share it doesn't. I suspect the always implicitly added
'nobrowse' mount-option might have to do with this.

My questions are:
- What is causing Spotlight not work on this Ingest-share when it is
mounted by automount? Is it the nobrowse option?
- Can i get rid of the nobrowse option? Not just only relation to the
spotlight-issue, but also because i want to allow the user to freely browse
the share and also simply see it mounted on the desktop.

Thanks for your time and attention!

kind regards,
arjen keesmaat