On Sat, Apr 1, 2017 at 1:32 AM, Brendan Shanks <bren...@bslabs.net> wrote:

> The Apple File System Guide was updated yesterday with additional info
> about filenames, iOS 10.3, and macOS 10.12.4. Quick summary: no
> normalization, iOS 10.3 is case-sensitive, 10.12.4 now has (beta)
> case-insensitive AFPS.
>
> https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/Fi
> leManagement/Conceptual/APFS_Guide/FAQ/FAQ.html

Thanks for the pointer.

I have trouble understanding this line:

The case-insensitive variant of APFS is normalization-preserving, but not
> normalization-sensitive."

I assume this is the mode that we now have in iOS 10.3.

I ask myself: What is meant by "sensitive" here? I know about
case-sensitivity. There, on a *non-case-sensitive* HFS system, I can pass
names in any case and they'll all be matched up with the same file name
stored on-disk. Right?

So, analogously, to my understanding, if I use AFPS on iOS, which is *non-*
*normalization-sensitive*, wouldn't it mean that I can pass differently
normalized (e.g. composited and decomposited) names to the FS API, and they
would all match the same file name on disk?

However, that contradicts this part from the same article, doesn't it:

For example, attempting to create a file using one normalization behavior
> and opening that file using another normalization behavior may result in
> ENOENT

Could someone tell me where my error in this logic is?

Thomas