Just to put a final word out on this topic I had raised two weeks ago:

I cannot reproduce it any more. I had thought for a while that it was
related to unencrypted CoreStorage-managed partitions, but even that
doesn't seem to be the case. Initially, I certainly and repeatedly had very
bad performance results when I tried to copy SSD-backed partitions from one
Mac to another via Thunderbolt, and only with the new DU, and not when
using dd on /dev/rdisk, but after testing many different scenarios ever
since, with other Macs, I cannot reproduce any of this any more, not even
with the MacBookPro I had originally copied from (the only config I could
not reproduce was using the original two MacBook Pros, since the target Mac
is now back in use by a friend, and I doesn't want me to mess with it any
more).

So, my apologies for the false alert. The good thing is that no one seemed
to be worried about this anway :)

While doing my testing, I found about a dozen bugs in the new DU, though,
and these are indeed reproducible. Have of them are UI bugs, and the others
are things that used to work in the old DU and now instead report errors or
simply misbehave. But I guess that's well known about the new DU and I do
not have to raise any flags about that. Not only this list, anyway.

Thomas