> The think that most closely resembles the HFS catalog isn't shared amongst
> volumes.

But it is. There is one btree for all volumes in a container (well,
technically, there are two btrees, one for the IDs and one for the actual
file catalog, but both are shared over all vols).

> clonefile(2) has the same restriction as link(2) and rename(2), it has to
> be done within the same volume/mounted filesystem.

So that's an API restriction, but not a technically necessary one on APFS,
IMO. I guess APFS was created with iOS in mind, where we do not have
multiple volumes, so no one gave this a second thought. It's a shame, as it
could have some great savings when sharing volumes in some situations like
the one I described. Still, it's a niche, and so I'm not hopeful this will
get improved. Sigh.

Thomas