Without knowing the particulars about sandboxing, I wonder why you
originally wanted to use multiple streams anyway. I had thought it's
obvious that using multiple streams for watching multiple locations would
be rather inefficient compared to having only one watcher for "/", and then
filter the items yourself (may in a separate thread so that you do not hold
up the FSEvents handler for too long - not sure if that's necessary,
though).

I think doing that is faster than letting the FSEvents system sort them out
for you, and then repeatedly calling your app regardless. So, now that
you're figured out that you need to watch "/" anyway, just make sure you
use only one stream to improve overall system performance.

I see, you've come to the same conclusion in the end, for different reasons
(mine is for performances, yours for avoiding redundancy) :)

Also, if you need to track changes to the paths of your files, you could
instead use NSURLs made based on file IDs instead of paths, by calling
[NSURL fileReferenceURL]. You could then also store the path alongside, and
every time you learn of possible changes, you resolve the path again to see
if it has moved, if that's what you need to know.

Thomas