Alan

To save me a trip to alt.english.usage could you please
explain "grocers' apostrophes". I can guess what it means,
but did you invent the term or is it part of the language?

As to acronyms IMHO they slow down, not speed up, the
communication. ISTM I have to decode them letter by letter,
instead of reading them as ordinary words. But I don't
mind - in Tony's messages they are part of his accent, his
tone of voice, even a reminder of usenet, bulletin boards,
telex, telegraphic code books...

:-)

Peter Marquis-Kyle