> I noticed big decline is speed of scanning since I purchased Canon FS2710
> some two weeks ago, especialy notable in high-res scans. When I got the
> scanner it was fairly fast, however, it now takes some time to scan full
> frame @ 2720 dpi. I know my system is rather slow and misses an big upgrade
> (K6/166MHz/64MB/2.0+3.2GB UDMA33 HDD....) however what bothers me is that
> despite more or less same amount of free space on HDD for Win or PS swap
> scaning goes slower and slower. And I'm talking of just scanning, not time
> it takes to import into PS ...

Yup - have suffered the same problem with my FS2710 which I realised was
due to my hard disks being extremely badly fragmented with all the scan,
edit, resize, reedit, copy, ... processes. This at the same time as my
other applications were using the disk etc.

On a slow machine, with limited memory, the disks also get used to create
'virtual memory' which means more fragmentation and slowdowns. Et voila,
my disks go from one long spaghetti strand, to a chewed up mulch of chunks!
(feeling hungry ..)

These big scan files are notorious for fragmentation problems. I use a seperate
disk (or partition) for scanning to alleviate this - then doing work which is
saved onto other disks.

Other things may be at issue - but once I started using a seperate disk my
FS2710 was consistently fast (or slow - YMMV).

bert