----- Original Message -----
From: shAf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2001 2:17 PM
Subject: RE: filmscanners: SS4000 and LS-2000 real value?

> Everytime I make such a purchase I predict such innovations.  For
> example, the SS4000 was available when I purchased my LS-2000 ...
> anyone could have predicted Nikon would match the resolution, and with
> the upper limit of available detail being ~6000ppi, you can also
> predict subsequent improvements.

You're absolutely right.  It's like this with all technology these days.
Since the advent of the PC in the early eighties I've purchased eight PC's
for my personal use (sorry Mac users).  I've never worn one out.  They were
all replaced due to obscolesence.

I've found that it is a lot less expensive to be just a step or two behind
the "state of the art".  But because I've always valued my time rather
highly, I've not hesitated to spend a thousand or two per year for increased
speed and efficiency.  When it comes to scanners, I will also get improved
product.  This is something I never got by upgrading my PC.  So perhaps
shelling out a few extra bucks (or pounds) to have the absolute "state of
the art" in scanners is a good value.

I believe the key here is to weigh the cost vs. the income produced in the
time saved (an assumption is made that the new equipment is going to aid in
production of income).  Otherwise, accept that you have a somewhat expensive
hobby or stay a few steps behind the "latest and greatest" and save the
money.

> You are in a unique position of needing to keep up ... I am not ...
> most of are not. Your situation might beg for the possibility of
> leasing or renting such equipment.

I've tried that route but never found it to be much of a cost saving in the
long run.  What works best for me is to buy top quality equipment at the
best prices, produce income with it to offset its cost, and sell it before
it is a dinosaur, or reassign it to a less demanding (less producing)
assignment.

> Still, the LS-2000 has ICE capability ... I would believe this still
> makes it more valuable than you suspect.  I wonder if Nikonscan v.3
> with ICE^3 will be made available as a purchaseable upgrade for
> LS-2000 scanners(?) ... or will it work with Firewire only?  This
> software would make the LS-2000 more valuable.
>
> shAf  :o)

You are right again.  I've discovered that e-bay buyers are paying up to
$1000 for LS-2000's.  Whereas my Microtek 4000t (just sold) didn't bring
quite as much.  I was overlooking the ICE as well as the multi-scanning
capability and the SCSI interface of the LS-2000.

Bob Kehl