> I had understood that grain removal was a by-product of the ICE-type
> cleaning and therefore could not be separated.  If it can, certainly I
> agree
> that should be an independent option.

Not sure about VueScan, but ASF's GEM and ROC do not depend on ICE.  Two
separate sources for this statement: 1) Minolta's medium format scanner has
GEM and ROC but not ICE and 2) the patent that appears to be the basis for
ROC (#5,673,336).  The patent states that an IR channel is not necessary for
the removal of color crosstalk but that the process of removing crosstalk
improves the IR detection of defects.