Frank,

> By low end scanners, do you mean something like the Polaroid SS4000?
> Because VueScan produces much better scans than Polacolor Insight.

Viewscan, nor Insight, nor any scanner software "produces" the scans, the
scanner and the scanner operator does.  Perhaps it's true that for someone
who wants the software to simply "hand" then a scan, Viewscan does a better
job at automating the process.  I find setting setpoints and adjusting tonal
curves quite easy.  Or, perhaps for scanners that aren't all that good, all
the extra processing options in Viewscan can be very beneficial.

Austin