On 07/07/07, Arthur Entlich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We recently purchased a Canon S3IS. ..........  Is it a replacement for a
> DSLR?
> Not really, but it rocks for size, weight, features, and cost

Do you want to add a live histogram, live flashing overexposure warning and RAW
as well?  Plus the ability to run custom scripts?  Look here:

http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK/FAQ

I've been trying this with my wife's Canon A620.  It's a non-destructive
(non-resident) firmware hack that enable some advanced DIGIC II features.
Because it leaves the original firmware in place, it can't damage the camera
(although it also means the firmware has to be loaded manually each time you
turn the camera on).  It's a bit clunky in operation but it does work very
well.  I'm not sure whether she will want to use RAW (because of the additional
workflow involved) but the additional exposure tools are definately useful.

Besides, the whole ethos of taking a mass produced camera and unlocking
advanced features appeals to me!  Hats off to the hackers who have developed
this.

Al Bond

(PS I hope this isn't a duplicate - the first attempt didn't seem to post!)