Both methods (printing and looking) are too subjective for my taste in
regard to this issue.  I'd really like to see a objective map of the
changes.  My personal sense is that jpeg is much better than most people
give it credit for.

It was designed with human vision in mind, so it does more damage to the
color than the luminosity because we have relatively poor color vision,
but we have good luminosity sensitivity. We are much more aware of
contrast and edge sharpness than subtle gradients of color.

Art