Title: [Finale] Re: Trombone clef in early music
Query: What about modern music?  If I write a trombone part in alto clef, will it be tacitly understood that it is an alto trombone part?

No. Alto clef for trombone parts is purely a historical convention, and these parts may be played on alto OR tenor trombone (Mozart usually on alto, Brahms or Beethoven usually on tenor, for example). The main reason for using tenor clef rather than the modern standard bass clef is to avoid excessive ledger lines.

Just to weigh in on the reading clefs discussion, I completely agree with David Fenton on context for clefs. As a trombonist, I had to learn all four of the usual clefs, and Bb, Bb 8va, Eb, and Eb 8va transpositions (F is less secure for me) and yet to this day I have serious problems swinging if a part shows up in tenor clef or (heaven help me) alto clef in a jazz situation. No problem in classical at all, but after years of associating certain performance practices with certain clefs, it is a hard habit to break.

I remember having this discussion a couple of years ago on this list about font choices. Jazz musicians seem to swing better if the part is copied to look hand-written (using the JazzFont, or something like it.) There seems to be this association with "engraved-looking" parts, where they seem more authoritative, and the musician automatically goes into classical mode, which involves reading exactly what is on the page, and not adding anything that isn't expressly written (and paying more attention to tuning and tone, incidentally!) With a hand-written part, they assume that they are permitted, nay, REQUIRED to make it sound looser and more personal. It seems to be the same with clefs.

Christopher