You are right to say that one can find both italic and plain text equally in guitar right hand fingerings.
The publishers I work with are using italic for these. As a guitarist I find italic fingerings to be just looking right. No special rule to my knowledge. I would not say plain text fingerings are wrong, but my eyes don't like it. It may help differenciate left (plain) ant right (italic) hand fingerings. But I will certainly not fight anyone's view that is different than mine, although my choice has been made for good.

Éric