Here's another weird convention that I just learned about, apparently directly descended from the original Real Book practices. You know that it is common for libraries to omit the first article in a title for cataloguing purposes, like "A Foggy Day" is listed under F, not A. But in many jazz performance libraries, like the one at McGill, the titles are listed WITH the leading article, apparently because the Real Book's alphabetical organisation of songs was this way! What a terrible idea! According to the new performance materials librarian at McGill, this is quite common in jazz libraries. <<

I leave "A Foggy Day" in the A's, but knock "The" off of, e.g., "The Physician". I got into this habit because sometimes I found that the "A" seemed more an integral part of the title than a "The".

Crystal Premo