Hi Christopher,

I've had this happen too. It seemed to only happen though when files were open in Finale and another file name was changed in the Finder (meaning by highlighting the name next to the file and re-typing it from within the finder window.)

For instance, I've got Horn 1, Horn 2 and a Perc part open. I then go to the folder where I have my files, using the Finder to navigate to the file, and I change the name of the score, or bass part or whatever by highlighting it in the Finder window (these files aren't open of course at the time I change the name.)

Even if the score, perc and bass parts are closed, the ol' switcharoo would happen in the open parts.

Oops...I made a mistake here...this sentence should read "Even if the score and bass parts are closed"....

The Perc part may be the Horn part now or whatever. I would have to close all the open files, choosing "Don't Save" and then go to my backup folder to retrieve the correct parts.

This problem is further compounded if you are working on a server with more than one person and any one person changes a file name using the method described above. Other people with files open will see that their files have been switched.

This stopped happening once I strictly started using "Save As" to change file names, or by making sure all open files were closed before I changed the file names from within the Finder window (this includes asking your co-workers if their files are closed if you are working off of a server.)

I'm on a Mac but I suppose the same thing could happen on a Windows machine...it's been so long since I have had a windows machine (Windows '97) I think you can now change filenames using the "Finder" on a windows machine too???

Karen

Hi all,

I have now been officially bitten by the File Overwrite bug for the third time. The first time (that I know of) was in FinMac2002, then last year in 2003 (both in System 9.2 for Mac) and now in Fin 2005a running under OSX 10.3.6.

Here's what I did, exactly.

I had opened an older score (apparently this is of some importance), created in 2002 and then edited in 2003, and began to edit some more. I added staves, moved music around, changed notes, dragged various things, changed the title (apparently this is of some importance too), saved it under a new name and then extracted parts using Extract Parts from the File menu.

I left the box checked "open extracted parts" and removed a few words from the file name for the extracted parts, from "Miles Ahead rev 2 score.mus" to "Miles Ah 2" and then left the placeholders for staff name and number intact, so that the first part extracted as "Miles Ah 2 - 001 Flute.mus", for example. I then began checking, formatting and printing parts. My usual routine involves editing the page 2 text blocks to include the instrument name.

I noticed that one part (Vibraphone) had some errors, so I changed it (including staff transposition), printed it, saved it but did not close the window, then went to look for the score window (still open) to make the changes there, too. I completed the changes, re-saved the score, then hit the yellow Minimize button to get it out of my way while I finished the rest of the parts. I closed the Vibraphone window using Command-W, which closed without prompting me (is this unusual? I usually get prompted all the time for unnecessary saves.)

The next part up was Bass, and I decided I would use the old bass part, already extracted from the 2003 version in another folder. I went to Finder, found the old bass part, dragged it to desktop without opening it, then went back to Finale. I saw the new bass part still there, so I hit command-W to close the window. At that moment, the HIDDEN window (the score) geni-ed back out of the Dock where it had been minimised, and I got a prompt "Save changes before closing?" Well, that was so weird it got my attention immediately. I noticed that name of the score was the same, but what I was looking at in the window was the VIBRAPHONE part! Somehow the content of the vibes part had been transferred to the Score file while it was minimised. (it occurred to me that I was actually looking at the real vibes part which I had mistakenly minimised, but no, the Dock was empty of other minimised windows. This was the file called "Miles Ahead rev 2 score.mus" and my file called "Miles Ah 2 - 013 Vibraphone.mus" was safely on my hard drive with an appropriate Date Modified.

Needless to say, I did NOT save, but called tech support immediately. After a long conversation, I saved under a new name to send the file to them. I went back to work, but closing the Bass window continued to call up the minimised score document, this time without any changes. I checked the text blocks in all the remaining open files, but none had gone wonky on me. The bug did not recur.

Brian in tech support says that for now, don't open any more than one window at a time. The only instances he has of this bug are Darcy's and mine, so if this has ever happened to you, please call it in.

Christopher

Karen Guthery
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ichat: [EMAIL PROTECTED]