Before we beat this issue to death, what I meant by "flaky power" wasn't
just power outages, but noisy power lines, brown outs, and other kinds of
power "sags" (voltage too low) or surges (too high). Although the electric
companies *say* you are getting 117 volts at your outlet, if you plug in a
chart voltmeter, you may find that your milage may vary considerably.
Although most modern equipment can compesate for this (somewhat), you will
strain your computer.

Yup, this is true. This is why I have a UPS that also has a line conditioner built in. It protects against the things you mentioned above. Also, the one I bought has a USB port built into it so I can hook it up to my computer and monitor it .....something Hiro very wisely mentioned.

-K

And, my memory is not perfect on this, but as I recall the Enron incident led to "rolling blackouts". I believe it was in the news that many bay area companies were installing building UPS systems to protect their work.

*sigh*. Anyway, $30 is not a bad investment, considering.