My start in music began at age four with violin lessons from my father. Piano lessons followed at the age of seven. My major interest in music, though, was sparked at Stuyvesant High School where I was convinced to play the bassoon. ("Bassoon?," I asked. "What's a bassoon?")

I majored in bassoon at the Juilliard School under Simon Kovar, and performed in the New York area with a variety of ensembles, including the orchestra of Leonard Bernstein’s Omnibus series on ABC-TV, and created the Contemporary Woodwind Quintet with Phil Dunnigan, Ronnie Roseman, Bob Listokin, and Clare Van Norman.

After receiving my M.A. from N. Y. U., I served as a teacher on every level for 9 years, chairman of music at the then experimental John Dewey H. S. for 23 years, and conductor of the New York All-City High School Band, performing at Alice Tully Hall, Avery Fisher Hall, and Carnegie Hall.

Retiring in 1990, I became Director of Educational Programs for the S.E.M. Ensemble, a group specializing in post-Cagean music. In this unique position, I recorded CDs of the music of John Cage and Morton Feldman with the S.E.M. Orchestra, and with Dierctor Petr Kotik, taught students on all grade levels to appreciate and perform complex avant-garde music.

Now I am a stage daddy for my violinist daughter, dabble in digital video and still photography, and am a part-time computer music engraver, who regards my transcription for piano and concert band of Gershwin’s Concerto in F as my magnum opus in computer notation. I also avidly read all the expert Finale advice on this terrific list.

Happy New Year!