From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf
Of dhbailey
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 4:21 PM
To: finale@shsu.edu
Subject: Re: [Finale] MIDI transcriptionism

Dean M. Estabrook wrote:

> Son of a gun ... I thought John Williams did all his own orchestration.
> Learn something every day.
>
> Dean

[snip]

I bet if you asked him, he would tell you he DOES do his own
orchestration -- meaning that he specifies which instruments play which
notes when.  I doubt that he would allow that his simply specifying a C
major chord in the horns and having his "clerk" voice it would indicate
that he isn't the one doing the orchestrating.

The degree of orchestration and how that affects who should get the
actual credit is one that I am sure there isn't much consensus on, with
the actual composers claiming one thing and the orchestrators claiming
another.

Somewhere within the past year there was a lengthy (and at times very
argumentative) thread on arrangement vs. transcription vs.
orchestration.  I could have sworn it was on this list, but it could
have been on orchestralist.  At any rate it was very clear that while
each of us may have our own fairly clear-cut definitions of these terms,
very few others actually agree with us concerning all of them.

--
David H. Bailey