Ok, I have to chime here about Karen's reply. The very brief reference she made to herself as being a computer consultant has been MOST important to me. Folks, Karen is someone who regularly saves my "life" computer-wise. In my opinion, she is a qualified expert in almost all things Macintosh, especially Finale. I have employed her on a regular basis for a full year now, and she is a dream come true, for not only me but my wife as well. When I was in a hopeless tangle on my fronts, she literally saved me. I have referred her to Bob Florence and several others, and she has been great. AND, best of all, she has become a good friend. Only after all this did I find out what a good musician she is.
Sorry if I'm making you blush, Karen, but I couldn't leave this alone.
All the best to all for the New Year,
KIM Richmond

On Dec 29, 2004, at 10:01 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Message: 7
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 00:14:01 -0800
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Finale] OT: Who are you?
To: finale@shsu.edu

Born in 1964 in Germany to an American mother and a British/American
father.  Moved to the states shortly thereafter where I was raised in
Denver Colorado.  Studied classical flute as a child and had my first
experience with writing jazz in junior high school when there were no
flute parts for the jazz band so I had to write my own.  Bless my
band director for letting me hang around anyway!

I was never a very good sight reader growing up due to my dyslexia.
When the notes started going by too quickly, I would have to wing it
because I just couldn't see them.  This was always a great
embarrassment to me but I guess it was a good thing in a way because
it helped me to develop my ears.  Despite my reading difficulties, my
teacher still supported and encouraged me musically thank goodness.
So bless my classical flute teacher for never berating me and instead
sending me to jazz school where I felt like I was finally home
musically.

Graduated from Berklee College of Music with a degree in Jazz
Composition.  I was fortunate enough to get to study with Herb
Pomeroy, Greg Hopkins, Bob Freedman, Ken Pullig, Wayne Naus, Dennis
Grillo and Richard Lowell.  I started copying charts for Bob Freedman
to make extra money while in school and of course spent many hours
copying my own charts, pen and ink, on a blue footlocker in a tiny
apartment in Boston.  Bless all of my friends that stopped by to keep
me company and bring coffee. I met so many great people while at
school!

I then lived in Phoenix for several years where I was a professional
jazz flautist in various duos, trios, quartets etc. and also an R&B
band.  We did a mix of original music and standards and played at
clubs, casual gigs and jazz and art festivals.  I worked with and
studied with a wonderful person and jazz guitar player named Bud
Dimock during that time too.  That was always great fun! The
highlight of my time in Phoenix was getting to play with Ray Charles
and his band during one of his concerts in Phoenix.  I will never
forget that!  Bless my booking agent for hiring me for that one!

I currently live in Los Angeles and make my living as a full time
musician.  Most of my income comes from being a proofreader, copyist,
midi transcriptionist and music librarian for feature films and
television.  But I also compose, arrange, orchestrate and play from
time to time as well.   I do a bit of computer consulting for a hand
full of musicians here in town too.  Not only are these people wildly
talented musicians, they are also wonderful, kind, warm and decent
human beings.  Bless them (and their wives who are equally wonderful)
for adding so much to my life in the past couple of years. They have
reminded me of how much sheer joy can be found in creating and
playing music just for the sake of the music itself.  A couple of
them are listers here so I'll take this chance to say thank you!

For recreation, I love to read, water and snow ski, and spend as much
time as possible just hanging out and talking with friends.  The
older I get the more I realize that simple pleasures really are the
best.

Thanks Bob for starting this thread.  And thanks to all of you who
have posted.  I have enjoyed reading your stories very much!

-Karen