Something has not been quite mentioned here.

GPO chose NI interface for _copy protection_ reason, because that's NI
sells these players to sample vendors for.  Clever.

While I have no direct experience, I bet NI/GPO inefficient resource
usage under OSX is limited to AU.  I am willing to bet VST is fine.  So,
if you use VST wrapper such as AudioEase, or VST host such as V-Stack,
you should get close to PC performance.

I used to have VST wrapper under OS9, and NI stuff worked as equal as on
PC.  VST is a clever cross-platform design, which doesn't depend of
system APIs but contains its own set of DLLs even for Classic Mac.  It is
interesting how VST moves forward since Yamaha is now steering.

As I mentioned before, AU spec has been changing too rapidly, and I can't
totally blame NI if they hate Mac platform.  I am not defending NI, tho.
 I have at least two NI individuals I can call with nasty names!

Oh, and running anything needs to talk to hardware with VPC is
technically impossible.

--

- Hiro

Hiroaki Honshuku, A-NO-NE Music, Boston, MA
<http://a-no-ne.com> <http://anonemusic.com>