On Feb 26, 2005, at 4:53 PM, Darcy James Argue wrote:

On 26 Feb 2005, at 4:48 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

On 26 Feb 2005 at 16:38, Christopher Smith wrote:

I know how to start a second ending with a tied note, but how do I
start a coda with a tied note? The note in question is both tied over
from the previous measure AND tied to the next measure, so my old
kludge of tying it right then editing the tie in Special Tools to go
backwards won't work.

I don't understand why Ctrl-= wouldn't give you the backward tie., and why a CODA would be different from a 2nd ending.

Well, it is, and there's no good reason for it. For reasons known only to Coda, backwards ties only work on 2nd endings.

Chris, you will have to fake it with a manually tweaked slur or other such kludge.

- Darcy

That's what I was afraid of. Actually, while I was waiting (five whole minutes, what took you guys so long?8-) ) I tried this:

I took the 2nd tied note of the coda and added a forwards tie to it, going nowhere.
I reversed that tie with Special Tool, to go backwards to the first note.
I then reversed the tie on the first note to go backwards.

Good thing this whole note wasn't tied over 12 measures! I would have had a lot of ties to mess around with!

Christopher