Arcane bass lore:

There are two (main) methods for getting pitches lower than the E string on the string bass. One is to have one or another kind of fingerboard extension added over the peg box. These are usually physically limited in length so that a C is the lowest practical note. When 5 strings are used on a specially built instrument, it is more intuitive and practical to maintain the fingering relationships by tuning the low string to B, a 4th below the E. Most bassists I know find the whole thing kind of messy for a number of reasons, and the relative power of those pitches is diminished by the fact that the bass is quite a bit too small to support the sound of the fundamentals it is required to sound already in its normal state (in relation to the proportions of a violin), so it's good to have a number of players doubling those pitches if they are expected to be heard effectively in an orchestra.

Some brave souls have resorted to tuning the bass in 5ths, like an "octa-cello." This has some advantages, but the amount of real estate that must be covered by the left hand in order to negotiate scale passages is daunting.

Chuck