David W. Fenton wrote:

In my case this has nothing to do with parts at all. The reason I need
to optimize out parts which have got music in them has to do with
doubling parts. For instance, in some situations the first and second
violins play identical parts, and for space reasons I just want to
show one of them, but the other one needs to have the music in it both
for later part extraction but also because the decision to optimize
out the second violin part is made at a later stage and needs to be
reversible.

Well, again, if layout of score and parts all happened in a single score, both having settings that could be controlled independently (instead of parts inheriting all the settings from the score, with a few exceptions), then it wouldn't be a problem.

I still don't see how parts-within-the-score would solve this problem.

But whatever the case I actually like the current idea of optimization. Yes, there could be more automatic updating, but I would like any development time here going into automatic vertical spacing. Whether this has to be invoked or is updated automatically is actually a pretty minor point in terms of time savings - at least for the way I do my work.

Johannes
--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com
http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de