On 04 Mar 2005, at 4:53 PM, Ken Moore wrote:

In "Metamorphosen" he puts low F# into violin parts, but the brackets
around them indicate that he doesn't really expect them to be played and
that they are doubled by violas.

I actually did that once with a tenor sax doubling a trombone line. The line went down to low (written) A for the tenor sax, and rather insert a rest (which would interrupt the line), I put the low A for the tenor in parentheses so the player knows what the contour of the line is, even if he can't play that note. It goes by very quickly and the absence of the tenor on a single eighth isn't missed, but I don't want the tenor player to reattack the note following the low A as if it were the beginning of a new line, because it isn't.

I get asked about that a lot, though, so I suppose I ought to include an explanatory note in the part.

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn, NY