On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 18:10:19 -0500, John Howell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Sarrusophone

Boehm did try to mess with the bassoon and create a more 'logical' group of fingerings for the instrument ---- which we bassoonists never accepted because of the inherent weight of his monster. Already the bassoon is heavy enough without all those extra kilos (pounds for the americans who still refuse to admit that dealing with pounds & inches are infinitely more complicated than kilos and centimeters.)But this was the sarrusophone NOT. This is referred to as the Boehm System Bassoon.

http://www.idrs.org/publications/dr/dR8.2/dR8_2Joli.html

is a site that gives a good explanation of what the sarrusophone really is. It was also used by such people as Ravel and Berlioz (if memory serves me correctly) because the basson français didn't have near the power of the good ol' Heckel fagott, and to get the range of the bassoon with the woodwind orchestrations, the sarrusophone was sometimes employed, especially to replace the contrabassoon.

Gregory
an american living in paris (sometimes)