Thanks Darcy,
I think what was in the Finale folder is actually references to how finale uses the fonts with its libraries. Archive and install only put the fonts in the Font Book application, not into my home library or system libraries or anywhere else I could find. I moved the preferences into the Finale folder and did a custom reinstall of the fonts from my 2004 CD. Don't have the 2004c update anymore, I think I lost it in my hard drive crash last spring, and MakeMusic no longer offers it on their web site. But for now the fonts at least seem to be working. Thanks for helping, Johannes and Darcy.
Bonnie