At 06:48 AM 3/13/05 -0500, dhbailey wrote:
>Just as we all knew that there might be trouble if we upgraded to a
>tethered version of the software.

There's also restraint of trade, conspiracy, racketeering, and a host of
other related behaviors that cannot be mitigated by the presence of a
click-through 'contract' in which one party has no power of negotiation.
I'm just not wealthy, or I'd be mounting lawsuits over this everywhere I
could. It has to be adjudicated at some point that it is unethical and
harmful to society for this class of behavior to continue.

We are not, much as some would like it, living in a capitalist theocracy.
There are individual and societal harms to be redressed, whether or not the
agreements that produce them appear to be voluntarily entered into. That is
not enough, and has been demonstrated to be insufficient over and over
again. Coercive behavior, particularly industry-wide coercive behavior, is
regulated or prohibited when the harm is great (or obvious) enough.

At some point, enough software will begin to self-destruct under the weight
of tethering schemes, demolishing enough 'creative capital' with it, and
enough history will be destroyed that the victimization now only apparent
to a few will become obvious to everyone. I can wait.

Dennis