Christopher
Thank you so much. Any help on changing the midi playback instrument at these points?
Jim
----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <finale@shsu.edu>
Sent: Sunday, March 13, 2005 9:36 AM
Subject: Re: [Finale] Instrument changing - midscore

Here's step by step, assuming you have already set your staff to clarinet clef and transposition.

Staff Tool, staff menu, Define Staff Styles.
Available Styles, click the button New to the right.
Name it Trombone Transposition
Select the box First Clef, Select and make it bass clef
Transposition, click Select and make sure it it set to None. When you exit this box, there will be a check mark where previously there was a dash.
If you want the score to reflect the new instrument staff names, change the Full Staff Name to Trombone, and the Abbr. Staff Name to trb.
There shouldn't be anything else to touch here. Clicking any box might turn it full on or full off, which means that that aspect WILL change when you apply the staff style. A dash means no change will be applied.
OK your way back out.

To apply it, select the passage with Staff Tool, and in the Staff Menu select Apply Staff Style. Choose Trombone Transposition, and all will be astonishingly perfect.

I suggest that you apply it from the first measure containing trombone notes (not before, as some do) until the next measure containing clarinet notes. However, I would put "To trombone" as a staff expressions IMMEDIATELY after the last note of clarinet, and "On trombone" or "Trombone" over the first note of trombone music. Similarly to go back to clarinet.

Obviously, clarinet and trumpet have the same clef and transposition, so just the staff expression indicating the instrument change is all you need.

Notice that there is a pre-made Clarinet staff style. This is designed to be applied to sax staves.

Christopher