On 17 Mar 2005 at 9:20, Jari Williamsson wrote:

> David W. Fenton wrote:
>
> > I've never understood why this is not more universally known, as
> > it's always been there.
>
> I can't explain why it wasn't known in the old days, since the
> underlined characters were always on the screen. But an "improvement"
> that MS has done in recent Windows versions is to default to not
> display the underlines unless the Alt key is pressed down. Of course
> this new behaviour can be restored to the old way, but I believe this
> new default behaviour will result in fewer people noticing the
> shortcuts.

What software does that? Is it only Microsoft software? Or is that
built into WinXP?

Sometimes I think the people at Microsoft are just irretrievably
stupid. They constantly add features that few people need, but
implement them in a way that intrudes on everyone (so that no one
will miss that the feature is there), and then take away or fail to
promote unobtrusive features that could help a lot of people.

They are completely out of touch with their user base, in my opinion.