On Mar 17, 2005, at 3:54 PM, Eric Dussault wrote:

We normally count the measure from the first complete measure in a piece or section. I think I remember reading something about a rule that makes the pick-up measure by part of the measure count when it has a certain length (like more than half of a measure).
I can't find any reference to this in Stone, Read, Blatter or Ross.
Any clues?

Thank you,

Éric Dussault

I have always NOT included any pickup measures in the measure count, even when there is more than one measure as a pickup. I may be wrong there, but it's what I have always done. I only count from the first measure of the phrase, regardless of any pickups.

I even see from time to time works where an entire introduction is not numbered, or numbered with "a", "b" etc., or "i" "ii" in lower case Roman numerals, like a book preface, though this might only be because the intro was added later and they needed to keep consistency with some other version.

My gut feeling is not to number a pickup measure, no matter what the length.

Christopher