On Mar 18, 2005, at 5:20 AM, dhbailey wrote:

Christopher Smith wrote:
On Mar 17, 2005, at 3:54 PM, Eric Dussault wrote:
We normally count the measure from the first complete measure in a piece or section. I think I remember reading something about a rule that makes the pick-up measure by part of the measure count when it has a certain length (like more than half of a measure).
I can't find any reference to this in Stone, Read, Blatter or Ross.
Any clues?

Thank you,

Éric Dussault

I have always NOT included any pickup measures in the measure count, even when there is more than one measure as a pickup. I may be wrong there, but it's what I have always done. I only count from the first measure of the phrase, regardless of any pickups.

I'm confused -- how can there be "more than one measure as a pickup?"

Pickups are those notes which make up an incomplete measure before the first measure of the work. The New Harvard Dictionary defines Pickup as "one or more notes which precede the first metrically strong beat (usually the first beat of the first comlete measure) of a phrase or a section of a composition; anacrusis, upbeat."

Complete measures as part of a "pickup" would be more of an introduction than a pickup. And measures of an introduction, in my experience, are part of the measure count.

I'm thinking of one piece in particular of mine that I started with a 7 eighth-note pickup, but then amended later to be 9 eighth-notes, which of course took up one measure and an eighth note (over two measures), neither of which I chose to number. Seemed silly to me.

Christopher