On Mar 19, 2005, at 7:24 PM, Darcy James Argue wrote:

Written measure numbers are not usually found on lead sheets anyway. We started this discussion talking about arrangements, and somehow we segued into lead sheets -- two very different situations.

OK, I thought we WERE talking about lead sheets. But I think the idea applies to all pickups.

I'm not sure musicians are aware enough of the rule about only numbering complete measures to make the distinction between the bar numbers with a 7 note pickup and an 8 note pickup.
Okay, again, this is a completely different situation from a arrangement, where every complete measure is numbered (and labeled).

Right.

Except I know that the NY and LA show and film standards are used in all local situations, where ALL measure numbers are labelled, but often that gets too cluttered for general use, especially with a rehearsed band that doesn't necessarily need ALL measures numbered. At the beginnings of systems and at double bars is generally enough for me in those situations.

Lead sheets usually don't have any measure numbers at all.

Mine do. But not usually EVERY measure, just starts of systems, as I said.

When people are rehearsing from lead sheets, they usually use *relative* terms like "Let's take it from the bar before the bridge" or "Let's take it from the second bar of the last A." (When working from a 32-bar AABA lead sheet, I have never in my life heard anyone say "Let's take it from bar 26" instead of "the second bar of the last A.")

I put the measure numbers so that it will be easier to say, "What are you playing on bar 26?" than "What are you playing on the second bar of the last A." It's for ease of rehearsing and playing, and for clarity.

I AM arguing for consistency. I expect NO pickup measures to be numbered, no matter whether they are complete or not.

What's the difference between a "complete pickup measure" and a "one-bar intro"?

For any of the tunes I cited, is there any question? They are all clearly pickups.

And do you really want to spend rehearsal time splitting that particular hair?

The hair I want to avoid splitting is the one where a 7-eighth-note pickup is NOT numbered (or maybe it is, if it is notated as a full measure?), whereas an 8-eighth-note pickup IS. But, as I said, it has only shown up once in twenty-odd years, in my case.

In an arrangement, the rule is you number from the first complete measure -- intro or not -- and show measure numbers on every bar. I'm still having trouble understanding why you are apparently so dead-set against following this convention, which works extremely well and does not rely on subjective judgment calls as to what's intro material and what's not.

I'm only set against it when it is clearly a pickup. In all other case, I always have and probably always will follow the "number the first full measure" rule. Do you put a double bar on the left side of measure 2 in that case, to keep the form clear? Say in the case of a 7-eighth-note pickup to an intro, where a rehearsal letter might not be warranted? I would.

Christopher