John Howell wrote:

But MotU seem no longer to be supporting Mosaic, despite this ability. My son-in-law was smart enough to get it operable for me in OSX Classic, so I can (for the moment) still access hundreds of my scores, but soon I'll inevitably lose them. Dennis' fear of losing access to Finale is NOT paranoid!

If Dennis' fear was losing access to Sibelius, his fear would not be paranoid, as S~ keeps the data file structure proprietary information. Finale has made the data file structure open, which is why not only can S~ read ~.etf files, but they can be converted to Lilypond, as well. The ability of Finale to write ~.etf, and the fact that file structures are open, is why I consider Dennis' fear of losing access to the data in ~.etf files, to be, is if not paranoid, at least coming very close to it.

If one uses ~.etf as the primary storage format for Finale data files, one will not lose access to the data in the files.
As far as I can tell, neither Sibelius, nor the other competitors of Finale provide the same capability.