On 23 Mar 2005, at 14:43, John Howell wrote:

At 4:38 AM +0000 3/23/05, John Bell wrote:
PS On reflection, since you say the inverted A is beside both notes it's unlikely to be an articulation -- only one instance would appear in that case -- so unless my earlier suggestion of O for open string is wrong it must me something else that applies to each of the two notes. Such as an unorthodox accidental? It's hard to think of something that would need to be applied to each note as opposed to the pair of them.

John

A fingering would go over the notes. The only sign I can imagine being placed before the notes is a vertical bracket indicating non-divisi. An accidental would only make sense if the key signature needs to be cancelled for those notes.

John

But there would only be one such bracket, not two.

John