At 4/17/2005 10:31 PM, John Howell wrote:

>Our only inheritance from the treble-clef brass band system is the
>duplicate parts for treble clef (Bb-transposed) and bass clef
>(concert pitch) baritone/euphonium parts, both of which are still
>required in band arrangements.  And I believe the justification is
>exactly the same as the justification for treble-clef brass band
>notation:  baritone players are often recruited from supernumerary
>trumpet players.

Exactly, I once took a poor third trumpet player and convinced her that she was more needed playing baritone. What was surprising was that she turned into an excellent baritone player. I am still a close friend of her husband, but unfortunately, she developed cancer and passed on. He always says that she didn't think she was any good on the baritone, either.

Phil Daley          < AutoDesk >
http://www.conknet.com/~p_daley