ATI released their latest Mac drivers today -- ATI Displays 4.5. Unlike previous releases, this version of ATI Displays supports *all* Macs with ATI video cards, including OEM ATI cards (previously, this was recommended only for users with retail ATI cards).

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp? deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27

The reason I mention this is that list member Peter Kuett kindly brought to my attention a tantalizing sentence from the release notes:

VERSAVISION now enabled on MacMini

This would be potentially very good news because it would mark the first time ATI had enabled VersaVision (i.e., screen rotation) for OEM video cards. (VersaVision is supported in the *retail* version of the Radeon 9200 -- just not in the OEM Radeon 9200 found in many Apple computers, including the Mac mini.)

Unfortunately, this turns out not to be true. VersaVision is not actually enabled on the Mac mini. I don't know how this sentence made it into their release notes, as it directly contradicts other passages in the release notes:

Apple OEM/CTO RADEON Products
â All Apple desktop and portable systems with preinstalled RADEON graphics
â Not all ATI Displays features may be present. The Advanced tab in ATI Displays is not supported

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp? deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27

(N.B. VersaVision is among the features accessible only from the "Advanced" tab.)

NOTE: VERSAVISION is only available for the following retail cards: RADEON 9800 Pro (and Special Edition), RADEON 9000, 8500 and 9200 PCI.

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/macosx-ati-displays-4-5.html#macosx

Does this mean anything? Does ATI plan to eventually expand VersaVision support to OEM cards? Is Apple planing on integrating screen rotation into OS X? Or is it a meaningless typo?

[Don't look at me, I have no idea. I just thought it was an interesting tidbit for those interested in screen rotation in OS X.]

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn, NY